Indaba consists of some simple preparation and then 4 distinct steps in the field. These steps are described in detail in the following sections. However before you enter a deployment, you might need to consider the following things.
Indaba has been tested in a number of different locations and for different project/programme initiatives (participatory baseline, monitoring and evaluation), some examples highlighted in the previous section. When using Indaba for a project/programme, consider:
- At what stage in the programme/project should you use the Indaba process?
- What would be the best method to use (assessment, baseline, monitoring, evaluation etc) to capture this information from the communities?
- What is the sampling method (chosing who participates) that would be most suitable for your Indaba initiative? This will affect location and community selection.
- In order to ensure buy in and sustainability of Indaba, who are the stakeholders that should be involved in the process, at the community, regional, national and global level? It is recommended that the deployment team be kept small at the field level, in order to respect community space.
- How many days will be allocated for your initiative and what are the logistics on the ground which need to be planned?
The Indaba facilitation methods (photowalk, MSC, storycards) can be adapted depending upon what is to be measured in the project/programme and is a participatory approach. Indaba works with the community from beginning to the end of the initiative, as such it is important to have the buy in from the community leader and the community before rolling out the Indaba process in the field.
Before Entering The Field
You need to setup and install the Indaba application before entering the field!
Although the Indaba infrastructure is flexible and can be used in many contexts, you will need a minimum amount of technology and materials to start a deployment.
Use the table below to determine which version of Indaba you will need to use and what you need to have as a minimum to run the deployment you need.
|Devices||Minimum of 4 Android (version > 5.0) devices for each contributor/contributing group (these can either be the participants' own devices or provided by the shoot organiser)|
|Connectivity||3G Internet or WiFi required||n/a|
|App Download||Indaba app (Play Store)||Indaba Titan app (Play Store)|
|Optional but Advised Equipment|